At the beginning of the year I found Dollightful on Youtube. She makes videos about customizing dolls, and I thought that it was really cool so I decided to buy a doll and try it.
Before I started I watched a lot of videos from Dollightful as well as HeXtian, Mozekyto, and MariaLazar to sort of try to figure out what I was doing. They had a lot of good examples and I was able to figure out the general idea of what I needed to do when I attempted this project.
I decided to try this project with this Apple White Doll from ever after high. I got it used off of Ebay with the Raven Queen Doll because they were just sort of what I found and I didn’t want to pay full price for a doll that may end up in the trash or ruined at the end of all of this.
The first step I took was to remove her head from the body, cut off a food chunk of her hair, and take her face off . Once that was all done I was left with this.
The next thing I did was I took out the rest of her hair. This was so much harder than I thought that it would be, and took me a lot longer. As I figured out that I didn’t really know what I was doing I watched some youtube videos and actually ended up taking a flat head screw driver to try to loosen the glue and hair plugs so that they were easier to get out. This did speed up the process, but I’m not sure if it hurts the plastic at all or what.
For putting the hair back into her head it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, honestly. The hardest part was keeping all of the hair organized, and to be honest I don’t have a clue of how to do it well. I’m still working on it. I did end up not having enough hair, but I honestly think that if you actually figure it out a 2oz hank will do you just fine.
I decided to reroot the hair because making a wig just scared me too much for my first custom attempt.
So that’s where this project is at the moment. I’m waiting on more hair to arrive in the mail so I can continue, but it shouldn’t take too long so check back for updates later.
See you soon,